Packed with flavor and nutrition, this soft and moist sweet potato bread is sure to be a hit with the whole family.
Healthy Sweet Potato Bread
Sweet potato takes the place of the fat in this simple recipe, adding sweetness and moisture without all the extra calories and sugar.
Enjoy it as a Fall-favorite breakfast or a healthy snack; and leftovers freeze well so it’s great for meal prep.
The recipe can be vegan, gluten free, nut free, egg free, dairy free, low fat, and oil free… yet it’s so rich and delicious that no one ever believes it could possibly be so healthy!
Also try this Chocolate Banana Bread
Sweet Potato Loaf Ingredients
This quick bread is super easy to make, with no yeast required.
Instead of pumpkin, you’re using sweet potato puree, which you can either buy at the store or make from scratch by roasting regular or Japanese sweet potatoes or yams and then blending or simply mashing very well.
(Here’s the best way How To Cook Sweet Potatoes)
We’ve tested the bread successfully with spelt, oat, and white (all purpose) flour. If you experiment with a different flour at your own risk, such as whole wheat or gluten free, be sure to report back with results.
For a paleo sweet potato bread without flour, we found that using almond meal yields a loaf that tastes great but doesn’t look very pretty.
Trending right now: Healthy Chocolate Pudding
Everyone always talks about pumpkin in the autumn, but this sweet potato recipe – full of homemade cinnamon goodness – might make you forget about pumpkin completely.
If you want to vary the flavor of the vegan sweet potato bread, feel free to add a few drops of maple extract or stir in a handful of shredded coconut, crushed walnuts, or chocolate chips, and banana can be substituted for some of the sweet potato if desired.
How To Make The Recipe
Start by combining all of the liquid ingredients in a mixing bowl. If time permits, it’s best to let this sit for around 10 minutes. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Stir all remaining ingredients into the bowl until just evenly incorporated (don’t over-mix).
Smooth the batter into a 9×5 loaf pan that has been greased or lined with parchment paper. Bake on the center oven rack for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out mostly clean.
Leftover sweet potato bread can be stored loosely covered on the counter, and the taste and texture are even better the next day. For freshness, it’s best to refrigerate or slice and freeze leftovers after a day or two.
Above – watch the video of how to make sweet potato bread
Sweet Potato Bread
- 1 cup sweet potato puree
- 1 cup water or milk of choice
- 6 tbsp oil, additional sweet potato, or mashed banana
- 2 tbsp white or cider vinegar
- optional 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups spelt, white, or oat flour (for low carb, try this Almond Flour Banana Bread)
- 1 cup sugar, unrefined if desired
- optional 1 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp each: baking soda, baking powder, and salt
- optional 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Combine liquid ingredients. Let sit 10 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 F. Stir in remaining ingredients, then smooth into a greased or lined 9×5 loaf pan. Bake on the center rack 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out mostly clean. Leftovers can be stored loosely covered on the counter (it tastes even better the next day!). After a day or two, it’s best to refrigerate or freeze.
Healthy Bread Recipes
More Sweet Potato Recipes