(6-plan) Journey to perfect a 100% WW Sourdough Pullman Loaf
Round #3 of experimenting with “Skipping the Bulk Ferment” step.
The wife has tasked me to come up with a sandwich bread recipe our family can bake at least once a weak to completely replace our regularly purchased box store sandwich bread.
- Soft and light
- 100% whole wheat
- Recipe must be easily repeatable and easy to execute.
- Recipe must be designed for a covered pullman loaf pan.
- My 12 year old daughter must be able to bake the bread from start to finish
- Sourdough leavening only.
- From start to finish, the bread must be completable in 1 day.
- Process must exist to enable the baker to know with reasonable certainty that the loaf is perfectly proofed.
- Dough needs to contain a few softened chewy seeds, grain berries, etc. for texture and flavor.
- Don’t use bran flakes as a bread topping.
- 1.5 out of 10 on the TexasBakerDad sourness scale, whatever the heck that means 🙂
Modification from Previous Bake
- Bake for 1hour 15min covered instead of 1hour 30min.
- After mixing in the ankarsum, immediately dump dough onto the counter and preshape, then wait 15 minutes and shape, then load into pullman.
- Only knead in ankarsum once, last bake I waited 10 minutes and kneaded twice.
- I am not going to butter the top of the loaf before loading into oven.
- 60g (12%) sourdough starter (50:50 hard red)
- 50g rolled outs
- 30g (6%) honey
- 10g (2%) non-iodized salt
- 30g (6%) virgin olive oil
- 475g (95% if you include rolled oats) well water
- 450g hard white wheat (sifted to remove bran)
- sifted bran to be used as topping
- 0:00: In large mixing bowl, add: 475g of boiling water, 50g rolled oats, 30g honey, 10g salt. Mix and let sit for 10 minutes.
- 0:10: Mix in 30g olive oil
- 0:11: Without kneading, mix the 450g of hard white wheat to combine into a shaggy mess. Let autolyze for 10 minutes
- 0:21: Smear 60g starter over the top of the dough mess. Use drum on Ankarsum and knead until dough stops showing improvement (record time elapsed, about 8 minutes).
- 0:29: Dump dough onto bench, siphon off 20g for aliquot, then preshape, then wait 15 min.
- 0:32: Prepare pullman pan, liberally butter all sides and apply flour.
- 0:44: Shape dough and load into pullman.
- Let dough proof in pullman until aliquot shows 1.75x rise over original volume. About 6 hours
- 6:00: Preheat oven 375dF
- 6:44: put lid on pullman and stick in oven for 1 hour 15 min. Bake covered the entire time.
- 7:59: Pull from oven, transfer loaf to rack. Let rest until cool, probably 2.5 hours.
- 10:29: Slice using slicer then put loaf in plastic bread bag to keep it soft.