31st bake. 01/16/21. Minor revamp of 30th.

31st bake. 01/16/21. Minor revamp of 30th.

Jan. 16, 2021.

The goals for this bake are to tweak the previous bake, #30, by increasing the percent of whole wheat, pre-soak the add-ins, and weigh some things so others can better replicate it if they want.  The poppy seeds and maybe the corn meal in the previous bake were not quite soft enough for my liking.

First mix. All mixing and folding-in was done with a silicone spatula/scraper.

  • 15 fl oz water, 443 grams. Water was weighed, and the volume computed.
  • 1.5 tsp poppy seeds.
  • 2 tbsp chia seeds. These tend to clump in water. I had to break them apart several times.
  • 2 tbsp ground flax.
  • 2 tbsp quick oats, not instant.
  • 2 tbsp corn meal, not flour, but fine grind.
  • 1 tbsp jaggery, a.k.a. brown sugar.
  • 1 tsp ground bread spice. A mixture of sesame, coriander, caraway, and fennel, that was first toasted and then ground.
  • 1 tsp raw (ie not toasted) whole caraway seed.
  • 1-1/8 tsp salt.

The above was left to soak about 10 to 15 minutes.

  • 2 cups, 339 grams, of Bob’s Red Mill stone ground whole wheat. This was measured by a 1/2 cup measure and weighed. I used the “scoop and shake” method, so figure 170 grams per cup with this measuring method.
  • I let it soak a while. 5 to 10 minutes.
  • 2 tbsp fat-free powdered milk, the instant-dissolving kind. Mixed/folded the dough  some.
  • Heaping 1/8 tsp of instant dry yeast. Mixed/folded it in.
  • 1 tsp sourdough starter, 100% hyd, 2 days since fed, stored in fridge. Mixed/folded in.
  • At this point, the dough felt a bit airy or foamy, not dense, not watery. I don’t know if this feeling is due to the add-ins trapping tiny bubbles of air, or if the WW flour did that.
  • Let it soak a while, maybe 5 minutes.

The following was added in 3 stages, 3 sets of (water, folded in, then flour, folded in):

  • 69 grams (weighed) water, which calculates to 1/4 cup + 2 tsp.
  • 1-1/4 cup King Arthur Bread flour, 200 gr, both measured (.5 cup, .5 cup, .25 cup) by scoop and shake, and then weighed.
  • These were folded in until well mixed.

Then, because I had forgotten:

  • 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, folded in until mixed.

I then put the dough mass on some wax paper, cleaned the bowl, put the dough back in the bowl to weigh.  1151 grams total dough weight. I then drizzled about 1/2 tsp of regular olive oil around the perimeter and rolled the dough around to oil the dough and the bowl to reduce sticking.

% WW = 339 / 539 = 62.9%.

Hydration, not counting add-ins (because I didn’t weigh them) = 512 / 539 = 95%.

Finished mixing all of it at 11:53 AM.

1:03 pm – 1 set of stretch and folds.

2:00 pm – 1 set of stretch and folds.

3:13 pm – 1 set of stretch and folds.  The dough feels good. My gut feel is that this is going to be a good loaf.

4:45 pm – The dough seemed ready, so… folded, shaped, put it in a lined banneton dusted with 50/50 mix of rice flour and bread flour.  I used the 8″ (I.D., 8.5″ O.D.) banneton, but after I put it in, I started thinking I should have used the next bigger one. Put plastic wrap from the bulk ferment over the banneton, plus a rubber band.  Put it in oven at same warm temp. (Not sure what temp, but  I keep it consistently over the “E” on the oven thermometer.)

5:16 pm – Checked on it. It had grown a bit, so transfered it to the 9.15″ (I.D., 9.7″ O.D.) banneton. I had used an oversized liner, so it was easy. Put the banneton in a plastic grocery bag, and into the fridge. 

This size banneton means that the loaf will be baked on the lid portion (also 9″ I.D.) of the Lodge combo cooker, with the deep part as the cover.

6:00 pm – Started to pre-heat oven, 490* / 465 F.

* First number is thermostat setting, second number is a cheapy oven thermometer that I keep in it. They differ by 25 degrees F.