Tuxedo Cupcakes are rich, chocolate cupcakes topped and baked with a dollop of a cream cheese and chocolate chip mixture for a dessert that is as fancy as it is delicious! Try my Black Bottom Cupcakes for a similar cupcake, but with added peanut butter chips!
This recipe starts with a decadent chocolate cupcake that is filled with a chocolate chip and cream cheese mixture. The end result is a tuxedo cupcake, named for its black and white coloring (like a tuxedo). But don’t wait for a fancy event to make these cupcakes; they are easy to make any time!
Tuxedo Cupcakes Ingredients
Room Temperature Ingredients: Make sure the ingredients you use are at room temperature (especially the cream cheese and egg).
Chocolate Chips: I used semi-sweet mini chocolate chips. I would not recommend milk chocolate for this recipe.
Hot Water: You will notice I use hot water OR hot coffee in the cupcake recipe. The coffee will really enhance the chocolate flavor in the cupcake. In fact, I use hot coffee in my perfect chocolate cake to get the best results every time.
Vinegar: Use white distilled vinegar in baking. It reacts with baking soda to give you a moist and airy cupcake or cake.
How to Make the Cream Cheese Filling
Before making the cupcakes, get the cream cheese filling made. First, use a hand mixer to beat the cream cheese until fluffy. Next, beat in the sugar, egg, and salt. Finally, fold in the chocolate chips by hand. Set the mixture aside until you are ready to add it to the cupcakes.
How to Make Tuxedo Cupcakes
To make the cupcakes, first, preheat the oven to 350° and line muffin tins with cupcake liners. Set aside. In a large bowl, mix the sugar, hot water (or hot coffee), oil, vinegar, and vanilla until well blended. Next, in a separate large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
Then, slowly add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture, mixing well. Pour the batter into the muffin cups, filling each cup about 2/3 of the way full. Top each chocolate cupcake with about a tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture. Bake the tuxedo cupcakes for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cupcake part of the dessert comes out with a few crumbs, but no wet batter.
Let the cupcakes cool in the muffin tin for about 10 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely. Take a bite to enjoy the cream cheese center in these Tuxedo Cupcakes.
Looking for More Cupcake Recipes?
Cream Cheese Filling
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semisweet mini chocolate chips
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups hot water, or hot coffee
- ⅔ cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons white distilled vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
Cream Cheese Filling
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Beat in the sugar, egg, and salt until smooth.
- Fold in chocolate chips; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line muffin tins with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the sugar, water, oil, vinegar, and vanilla until well blended.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt; gradually add it to the sugar mixture and mix well.
- Fill lined muffin cups ⅔ full with batter.
- Top each with about 2 tablespoons of the cream cheese mixture. Bake for 25-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cupcake (not topping) comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before removing from muffin tin to wire racks to cool completely.