Hamelman’s Vermont SD
Bake from a couple days ago…
Overall, bake turned out decent. Made the loaf for a friend and they liked it, so I guess that’s all that matters. Had to slice and check the crumb before giving it to them. 😁
Levain build went well. Starter was 2 weeks old, but levain was over doubled and very bubbly at 11 hours (72-74 deg). Dough temp was right on target after mixing (as 75 deg). However, as usual for me with high white flour recipes, my BF progressed very slowly.
I moved to shaping after 6.5 hours. Aliquot was just over 50% and dough was reasonably jiggly. I wanted to go longer, but it was getting late. Dough had risen some after 90 minutes (aliquot about 70%), so put it in the fridge for a morning bake.
Dough shrank a bit over night. Luckily, I got good oven spring and the crumb turned out OK. A little underproofed, but not too bad. Surprisingly, it had mild acidity with the longer fermentation according to my friend. They enjoyed the first slice with a bowl of soup. Maybe because of the higher temps during BF.