This healthy chocolate shamrock shake is made with just a few natural ingredients – no food dyes, artificial flavors, or high fructose corn syrup!
McDonalds has upped their Shamrock Shake game.
In recent years, they’ve introduced multiple Shamrock-themed drinks, including a McCafé Shamrock Chocolate Chip Frappé, Shamrock Mocha, Shamrock Hot Chocolate, Oreo Shamrock McFlurry, and Chocolate Shamrock Shake.
While the new McDonalds shamrock shakes might sound enticing, hiding under the picture-perfect cherry and mountain of whipped cream lurk unhealthy and potentially dangerous ingredients such as high fructose corn syrup, artificial flavors, Yellow 5, and Blue 1 Lake.
Trending Now: Vegan Cheesecake – NO Cashews
Ingredients in a McDonalds Chocolate Shamrock Shake:
Milk, Sugar, Cream, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Corn Syrup, Natural Flavor, Mono and Diglycerides, Cellulose Gum, Guar Gum, Carrageenan, Vitamin A Palmitate, Cocoa (Processed with Alkali), Natural and Artificial Flavors, Caramel Color, Salt, Potassium Sorbate (Preservative), Artificial Flavor (Vanillin), Red 40, Xanthan Gum, Citric Acid, Sodium Benzoate (Preservative), Yellow 5, Blue 1, Cherries, Malic Acid, Sulfur Dioxide as Preservative (Contains Sulfites), Yellow 5 Lake, Confectioners Glaze, Blue 1 Lake, Carnauba Wax
And just a small chocolate shamrock shake from McDonalds somehow also manages to pack in a shocking 70 grams of sugar.
Not to mention over 500 calories and 66 grams of fat.
Do your health a favor by trying this “clean eating” version instead!
Also Try The Original Version: Healthy Shamrock Shakes
Shamrock Shake Variations:
Shamrock Chocolate Chip Frappe: Add 1 tsp instant coffee and a small handful mini chocolate chips before blending. Serve chilled, or heat it up for a homemade Shamrock Mocha.
Shamrock Hot Chocolate: Make the recipe below, using a non-frozen banana, then heat it up on the stove or in the microwave. Or for a banana-free version, add 1/8 tsp pure peppermint extract to this Vegan Hot Chocolate Recipe.
Shamrock Shake Swirl: Make up a serving of the chocolate shamrock shake recipe below, divide between two glasses, and place in the freezer while you make up a serving of my regular Healthy Shamrock Shakes (recipe linked directly above).
Take the glasses from the freezer, and pour the green shake over the chocolate one for a swirled chocolate shamrock shake!
Healthy Chocolate Shamrock Shake
- 2/3 cup milk of choice
- 1/3 cup canned coconut milk, creamer, or additional milk of choice
- 1 frozen banana (for banana free, try this Avocado Smoothie)
- 2 1/2 tsp cocoa or cacao powder
- scant 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp to 1/4 tsp pure peppermint extract
- sweetener of choice, as desired
- chocolate chips, optional
- To make the recipe, simply blend all ingredients until completely smooth. Pour into a glass, and enjoy! *Notes: Use pure peppermint extract, not imitation or mint. Use 1/4 tsp if a stronger peppermint flavor is desired. The banana should have at least started to turn brown before being peeled and frozen. Use the coconut milk for a richer and creamier taste (or you can add a little avocado), or use milk of choice for more of a smoothie. Both are good!
More St. Patrick’s Day Recipes: