This homemade pico de gallo is refreshing and bursting with flavor! Easy to make and perfect for topping burgers, tacos, burritos, or dipping.
I LOVE salsa. Put a dish of salsa and a basket of chips in front of me, and it’s all over. I will show that salsa who’s boss.
But, I’ll say this: while I’ve never met a salsa I didn’t like, fresh tomato salsa, a.k.a. pico de gallo, is my absolute favorite. It’s so flavorful and refreshing.
But you know what else? It’s some really simple stuff! It’s super easy to make with just ix ingredients — and all you have to do is mix them up in a bowl. SO EASY.
What You’ll Need
- Red onion.
- Lime juice. Use fresh squeezed — it has the best flavor.
- Tomatoes. Almost any variety will work, but make sure they’re good and ripe!
- Jalapeño pepper. You can leave this out if you don’t like spicy food.
- Fresh cilantro.
How to Make Pico de Gallo
The following is a detailed photo tutorial on how to make this dish. Scroll to the bottom of the post if you’d prefer to skip right to the recipe!
- Place diced red onion, lime juice, and salt into a bowl. Stir the ingredients well so they’re evenly distributed, then let the mixture sit while you prepare the remaining ingredients. This will help take a bit of the bite out of the onion.
- Now add diced tomatoes, finely chopped jalapeño, and chopped fresh cilantro to your onion mixture. Stir it up well and season the salsa with additional salt if you’d like.
Leftovers & Storage
Homemade pico de gallo is best served immediately, but it will keep in a sealed container in the fridge for about 3 days.
Frequently Asked Questions
There are all kinds of salsas! Pico de gallo is just one variety, and it’s known for being chunky and made with fresh tomatoes and raw ingredients (as opposed to cooked ingredients or tomato sauce).
More Vegan Dip Recipes
- Cashew Queso
- Vegan French Onion Dip
- Cheesy Vegan Taco Dip
- Mango Salsa
- Vegan Spinach Dip
- Guacamole (4 Ways!)
Pico de Gallo
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, plus more to taste
- ½ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 2 pounds fresh tomatoes (about 4 medium tomatoes), diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Stir the onion, 2 tablespoons of lime juice, and ½ teaspoon salt together in a large bowl. Let the mixture sit for a few minutes while you gather and prep the remaining ingredients.
- Stir in the tomatoes, jalapeño pepper, and cilantro. Taste-test the mixture and season with additional salt and lime juice if needed.
- Serve immediately or cover and chill for later.