Crispy baked tofu bites are smothered in tangy sauce to make this absolutely scrumptious BBQ tofu! Easy to make and deliciously addictive!
What’s one way to make just about anything delicious? Smother it in barbecue sauce!
Tofu is no exception! Whether you’re a tofu lover or you think you’re a tofu hater, you’re probably going to LOVE this barbecue tofu (can you tell I do?!).
It’s incredibly delicious and there are a ton of ways of enjoying it, from stuffing it into a sandwich, to piling it on a salad with some vegan ranch dressing, to serving it as an appetizer or even a main dish with a side of vegan cornbread.
What You’ll Need
- Tofu. I like super-firm tofu best for this recipe, but extra-firm works as well. If you use anything other than super-firm, you’ll need to press it.
- Soy sauce. Gluten-free tamari works too!
- Peanut oil. You can substitute just about any other high heat oil, such as canola or vegetable oil.
- Garlic powder.
- Smoked paprika.
- Barbecue sauce. I like my homemade vegan barbecue sauce, but store-bought works too — just be sure to check the label and look for non-vegan ingredients like honey and Worcestershire sauce.
- Fresh chives. These are optional, but I love them for topping my bbq tofu!
How to Make Barbecue Tofu
The following is a detailed photo tutorial on how to make this dish. Scroll down if you’d prefer to skip right to the recipe!
- Before getting started, be sure to press your tofu, unless your tofu is the super-firm variety.
- Cut your tofu. I like to dice mine in 1-inch pieces, but pretty much any shape will do!
- Place your tofu into a bowl and add the soy sauce, oil, cornstarch, garlic powder, and smoked paprika. Stir everything up well! You can even dig in with your hands. Make sure to get a nice even coating on your tofu.
- Arrange your tofu pieces in an even layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Pop the baking sheet into the oven and bake your tofu until the pieces are browned and crispy. You’ll need to flip them about halfway through.
- I like to warm my barbecue sauce up on the stove while the tofu bakes, but you can skip this if you like.
- When the tofu has finished baking, pour the sauce over it.
- Give the tofu a toss to coat it with the sauce.
- Sprinkle your tofu with chives and dig on in!
Want to learn more about tofu and how to prepare it? My guide to tofu will give you all the info you need!
Leftovers & Storage
This barbecue tofu is best served right away, while the coating is crispy. If you do have leftovers, store them in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat your tofu in the microwave or in a 400°F oven until hot.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yup! Use gluten-free tamari in place of soy sauce and make sure your barbecue sauce is gluten-free.
However you like! Try serving individual pieces as appetizers, stuffing it in a sandwich, putting it on a salad, or serving it as a main dish with a few sides.
You definitely want to use extra firm or super firm tofu. I personally prefer super firm — it’s easier to work with, doesn’t require pressing, and has a great texture.
More Tofu Recipes
- Jamaican Jerk Tofu Bowls
- Crispy Baked Tofu Nuggets
- Sweet & Sticky Coconut Tofu
- Grilled Tofu with Mango Salsa
- Easy Salt & Vinegar Tofu
Baked BBQ Tofu
- 1 (14 ounce or 400 gram) package super-firm or extra-firm tofu (if using extra-firm tofu, you’ll need to press it), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil (or high-heat oil of choice)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ cup vegan barbecue sauce
- Fresh chives, for serving
Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Place the tofu pieces into a medium bowl and add the soy sauce, oil, cornstarch, smoked paprika, and garlic powder.
Stir gently until the tofu is evenly coated with the other ingredients. Use your hands if needed.
Arrange the tofu pieces on the baking sheet and place it into the oven.
Bake the tofu for about 30 minutes, turning the pieces halfway through, until browned and crispy.
While the tofu bakes, heat up the barbecue sauce on the stove or in the microwave.
After the tofu has finished baking, pour the barbecue sauce over it, then toss to coat.
Sprinkle the tofu with chives and serve.