Do your next pasta night right, and whip up a batch of this homemade vegan Parmesan cheese. All you need are 5 ingredients and 5 minutes!
I’ve been making my own vegan Parmesan cheese forever! But it’s one of those things where I always just threw a bunch of ingredients together and never actually measured, which is why I didn’t have an actual recipe for vegan Parm until recently.
I decided to finally get to it and create a recipe already so I could share it with you guys!
In the past I’ve used different types of nuts and seeds, different spices and seasonings, and even baked my Parm. But this recipe is my favorite version, and it’s pretty darn easy to make. No baking, just 5 required ingredients (and one optional ingredient), and it takes minutes to make.
What You’ll Need
- Raw Cashews. Super important: they must be raw. Roasted cashews won’t have quite the right flavor and texture — your cheese will actually taste like nuts. Raw cashews have a very neutral flavor, so they work well as a vehicle for the other seasonings. Trader Joe’s sells raw cashews, as do many supermarkets in the bulk foods section.
- Nutritional Yeast. Look for this in the natural foods section of your supermarket. It’s the key ingredient for adding cheesy flavor to your vegan Parmesan.
- Spices. We’re using garlic powder, onion powder, and (optionally) white pepper. This blend will add lots of savory flavor to your cheese, and I highly recommend including the white pepper if you can.
- Salt. Salt is important here. Cheese is salty, so omitting or cutting down on the salt will make your vegan Parmesan taste less cheesy. If you’re watching your sodium intake I’d recommend going light when sprinkling your Parm rather than using less salt when you make it.
How to Make Vegan Parmesan Cheese
It’s so easy. Ready for this: stick everything in a food processor bowl, and blend it to a powder.
Shelf Life & Storage
Vegan Parmesan cheese will keep in a sealed container in the refrigerator for at least two to three weeks.
You can also freeze it in a sealed container for 3 to 6 months. I highly recommend freezing it, as it takes virtually no time to thaw. I usually just scoop a little bit out of my container before dinner. By the time I’m done preparing the meal, my cheese is ready to use!
Frequently Asked Questions
Try macadamia nuts, almonds, hemp seeds or sesame seeds.
More Vegan Cheese Recipes
- Vegan Cream Cheese
- Vegan Mozzarella Cheese
- Nacho Sweet Potato Cheese
- Vegan Ricotta Cheese
- Vegan Cheese Ball
Watch my video to see just how easy it is to whip up a batch of homemade vegan Parmesan cheese!
Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- Food processor
- ½ cup raw cashews
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast flakes
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon white pepper (optional)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Place all ingredients into the bowl of a food processor fitted with an s-blade.
- Blend for a few seconds, until the mixture resembles Parmesan cheese.
- Taste-test and adjust any seasonings to your liking.
- Serve immediately or store in sealed container in the refrigerator or freezer.